Saturday, November 9, 2013

Life drawing ArT LeaGue DaytoNa: Steve's Portrait

Hello again from Wonderland. This class of Thursday November 7th 2013, would prove to be not only a teaching experience for me but a terrific learning experience as well. The artists within this class inspire me. They create beyond my visual prowess at times and they make me want to pick up my charcoal/pencil; ( I have to some times force my creative cravings back, this is one of those times).

Steve as always was professional and attentive to the artist needs. He maintained a portrait pose for most of the day. I did change the lighting a bit with evidence showing in the final illustrations. One apparent fact happen today and that was commitment and conviction. It showed within the layout gesture all the way to the final output.

Portraits can be daunting and can make an artist's attention to detail over take creativity. This was not the case in the this class. Mediums ranged from acrylics to charcoal. Support and ground were heavy archival paper and newspaper print for some.

As we listen to James Taylor and friends artist began to drift into the illustrations. They became intensely absorbed in observing and translating. How could an instructor ask for more? Styles emerged and personal creativity filled the room. There was flying charcoal, splattering talent, and minute lines that changed the appearance to perfect detail; with just a flick. All of this talent was driving me to pick up my graphite and join, yet to no avail. I saved my feelings of creation for a later date. Artist; you truly inspire me.

Thank you,

Scott

(No Particular Order)

Barbara Evans first time in the class she was wonderful, I loved this interpretation of Steve. Free and fearless to say the least.
 


Barbara P. out did herself with one I am always drawn toward the Macabre, I believe she has something here, perhaps a whole stylized show with this stylized theme.






Becky, again on her game subtle kindness in the eyes and bewilder tiredness of the expression. Just wonderful... Wonderland.




How can you mistake Carson, it is a professional aesthetic quality when your art can be recognize. Carson has no problem with that! Beautiful colors. Me likes!




Ah our new gentleman Coach to me, (cuz I forgot his name sorry my South African friend). With his new eyes and unbridled talent he set forth with his brush and conquered.

 Coach's final piece the lighting is wonderfully mapped and the contour of muscle and hinges of the folds are professional quality. What to do, what to do with his new eyes?



Georgia as always shines; dare I say Gauguin! Compare to "Femmes de Tahiti". Truly lovely.


This gesture of Jo's does not do the final piece justice. I wish I had taken a better image of the final piece, although she will be working on it throughout the week and I hope to see it again.




John's work continues to amaze me. I hope he continues down this road he has distinguished himself as true originator, can't wait to see how his work develops. Exciting times ahead.


This last one of John's (I wish I had more wall space at my house.) Wow, just wow.




Another artist setting herself apart is Kris ( I got the name right this time I hope). Her Journey of understanding the human form has been more then exciting. Her strengths are becoming more apparent, as she discovers just what a small adjustment of one line will do.




The master Masha Tidy, what can be said I am truly thankful to have her in the class. Her knowledge and experience alone can do wonders. I am dialing her in and I believe I know a way to (perhaps) guide her. 



Nancy yup Nancy, so soft and subtle. Her use of color and recognition of shapes guides her through the professional portraits she produces.  

 Adding the darker value is allowing the strength of the image to shine and creates contours and bone structure as well.


Niki, she has magic pastels. They seem to flow within her grasps. Allowing the artist interpret to her desire. Perhaps we should steal them and use this power for ourselves.



Get those pastels!! You rock. Masterfully done. 


Finally this illustration holds so much character. The deepness in expression along with the value creates a dusty hardworking feel. I believe it allows the piece to be open to several avenues of emotional impacting stories. Wow, leaps and bounds!

1 comment:

  1. Scott, You have a talent for teaching....Love your enthusiasm/encouragement/support for all the students in the class. Understanding the personal style of each individual while making educated observations and suggestions will certainly lead to subtle improvements in all of our art. Enjoy having a live model. Keep up the good work, you have a gift,,,thanks for sharing. Becky
    P.S. Coach's name is David Bird,,,

    ReplyDelete